Mobile apps have been around for a while now and the development is becoming more sophisticated and constantly growing. These days apps are just as important for companies as a website is.
Here are six reasons why:
1. Smartphone saturation: Smartphones are everywhere and the predicted number of users worldwide will surpass 2 billion by 2016 according to figures from eMarketer. For the first time, more than a quarter of the global population will use a smartphone in 2015. Nearly everybody will be able to access and use apps and the continuing trend of cheaper devices will further drive sales.
2. The possibilities: Because smartphones are small computers, becoming more and more powerful as time progresses, they will become more suitable for tasks that have been restricted to desktop or laptops. Today smartphone apps are being used by companies to promote their brand or product or to provide access to existing products or services. It is becoming more common for new products to require apps to function or work as a companion to other technology.
3. App stores: Smartphones will always depend on an app store, whether it is Apple or Android, your smartphone will have easy access to a massive selection apps.
4. The user experience: Apps provide a much better experience than mobile websites can, largely due to the fact that the app is custom built for the platform.
5. The personal touch: Smartphones are extremely personal devices and for must users, their phone is never usually more than 1 metre away from their side, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Using this fact, just how attractive is it to know that you could place your products or services so close to your customers?
6. Visibility: Standing out from the crowd with an app is a lot easier than trying to be found on the internet alongside millions of other websites. As an example, search for “handmade shoes” on Google – I got 27,600,000 results – a mind boggling amount. On the Apple App Store I did the same search and got 2 results, neither of which were makers of handmade shoes! A definite missed opportunity here for handmade shoe makers (come and talk to us!). Also, the app stores are designed specifically for their purpose – they were created for cross-selling, promotion and presentation. Apple and Google have made it incredibly easy to get in front of millions of potential customers.
Companies can hugely benefit from having an app on the app store and it is becoming standard business practice to communicate with your customers via an app.
Don’t get left behind – isn’t it about time you had your own app?